Thursday 8 March 2012

The “uncomfortableness” of the voice and text in music and art



This will be the title of my essay, I will be looking into one tiny aspect of how we use and understand language, concentrating specifically on the relationship between the recorded voice and music. I will be seeking parallels between that and the relationship between printed image and text.

My approach will be a reductive one, as I am not an audio scientist or skilled musician nor am I a language theorist. I sing and record songs and I am a drawer and printer of image and text. In my work I am interested in the way images and text are loaded with external connotations.  I like to play with these connotations; fitting pieces together in combinations of text and image in order to explore the way I read image and text.  My personal standpoint as someone who struggles with written language that at times can appear completely alien towards me but for which I have an immense enthusiasm; this is a motivating factor in the desire to incorporate language into my drawings. Maybe by adopting language I hope I can persuade myself to accept it? Or more likely I hope that it will accept me?blabllalabab!


So is it is my uncomfortable relationship to language that motivates me to seek out and define as positive a 'uncomfortableness' in the way language operates? 

I'm not going to attempt to prove any link between music and art, what I will concentrate on is a parallel “uncomfortableness" that I perceive between the ways we integrate language into these two aspects of our culture. A clunkiness  in  the way we use language as a conveyor of meaning and thought and as an element incorporated into our creative practice.