Tuesday 6 March 2012

Statement about my current project


Statement about my current project

To remind myself in a few paragraphs how to explain what I'm doing.

With this book I am playing with the idea of coincidences. I'm taking well-known figures Col Gaddafi, Elvis Presley and a slightly unknown ex ice hockey team owner from the 5th largest city in Germany with the intention of discovering significant coincidences in their lives and links between their stories. I chose these figures in a relatively arbitrary fashion with only two links initially in mind; a place; Germany and a date; January 8th 1935, Elvis's birthday.  

Upon further research and subsequently drawing upon the further similarities I discovered my intention was to utilise the way coincidences resonate and are understood to show a world in which actions or events can be seen as part of a larger pattern or structure. Although slightly absurdly straightforward I find this idea reassuring, every individuals life events as part of them and as part of the whole mesh in the pattern, possibly. I will key into this perceived pattern with the visual and physical structure of the finished book. There will be multiple ways of reading the book as will follow from the pattern of things and events depicted in the book. These multiple ways of viewing the pages will offer new juxtapositions between images and text when the book is extended accordion style.

My attempt is not prove anything pseudoscientific or spiritually enlightening. I am perceiving pattern in the life stories of well-known others because I'm looking for it; as if interpreting forms from patches on a wall or clouds in the sky. Pattern only exists because we attach so much significance to that which re-occurs, happens again. What I find really interesting is the way intuitively we can attach significance and read meaning to these patterns. It's funny which ones we pay attention to and which ones we don't.

The tone of the book should hang somewhere between the absurd and something resonates slightly meaningfully. Hopefully.