Thursday 23 May 2013

Train from the past

This photo was emailed to me by a Frenchman named Ludo on the 14th of May 2013. I met him when I was in beirut gathering up material for my book that was sort of about that place and sort of a book.

Ludo loved ruins, he had traveled to Bosnia, Belfast, Berlin in search of ruins. He said he worked for the UN or was a photographer or both or was one and wanted to be the other. I'm not sure

He was not meant to take this photo, he took it in secret while our guide was not looking.  






 Here is an email I sent about the trip to the train station

I tried to go to the old train station to take photos, but they told me in order to do so I would have to fill in a form pay 1000 LL and wait 5 days, So instead me and a frenchman just had a walk around with a guide who spoke french but no english

He wasn't really a guide, he just worked for the railways. Arounds arounds abouts, There are no plans for any trains to arrive or depart cos there isn't anywhere for them to go.

He did know some english like "train" and and "go to" he said 'no photo' a few times. Found out the railways employs 2000 people here.

There are no trains that work there are only bits of rails, bits pointing to what was palestine, pointing in the direction of syria. Everything is rusty and full of holes, everyone is at their desks in the offices. One man was sleeping.