Thursday 1 December 2011

Charity

I donated this image and others to be projected on the outside of the Design Museum as per the wishes of this odd competition. It is a picture of what I know and feel of Christmas as of December the 1st. Maybe that's why its got two S's or maybe that's because I can't spell.


They didn't want it!


ANYWAY I have started reading Bruno Munari's book 'Design as Art'/ The book begins with the idea that most art historically was "commercial" art. : "art for art's sake" is a modern invention that doesn't match history. So from this Design is the art of our time ( Well that time the book was first published in 1966 ) this idea comes and that's where I'm at.

Here is some quotes;


'For years and years architects and designers all over the world have been designing thousands of chairs, upright chairs and armchairs, all different and all the fruit of infinite inventiveness. I have even designed two or three myself. But it seems that the problem has not yet been altogether solved, because architects and designers all over the world are still going on designing chairs, just as if all their efforts up till now had been wrong.'

'In one shop I see a brass boot, size 25 (approx.). ‘I’ll have a pair of those,’ I say. ‘We have only one, sir.’ ‘What can I do with one boot?’ ‘It is not a boot to wear on the foot, sir. It is a boot to keep umbrellas in,’ the assistant explains, smiling patiently as one would at a madman. I am greatly embarrassed by this gaffe, and leave the shop at once, nearly tripping over a marble cat decorated with floral reliefs and serving as a doorstop. I am beginning to learn.' 'These are certainly not objects produced by designers, for designers do not have such raging imaginations. They confine themselves to making candlesticks that look like candlesticks'

And finally...........


NOSTRADAMO 4) Bruno Munari PROJECTIONS WITH POLARIZED LIGHT 


'In the Home of the Future people will be able to keep a small box containing hundreds of ‘pictures’ for projection.'