Saturday 12 November 2011

Notes / thoughts on recent guest lectures Charles Esher


Charles Eshers summary of the triumph of capital co-opting the avant-garde was really good, big story and he told it well. Maybe that's why the aesthetics around activism are so unattractive; it's a device to deter assimilation by the mainstream! Activism's paranoia makes for misplaced dreadlocks and lazy posters. I don't understand why people need to become curators or why people need people to curate ( that's the same for allot of things for everybody surely?) that shouldn't stop me from enjoying his work but there does seem to be allot of reasserting the curators role within creative practice.

I liked the video piece he started with - the building in Beirut exploding and imploding forward / reverse.I have lost my notes with the name of the work and artist. when I find them again I will insert it here. I knew of the Picasso traveling to Ramalla. A friend of a friend wrote this about stealing the painting which I think is a wonderful response to such a expedition. There be the the curator! the facilitator of the response to the response to the response intended or otherwise? 

He also made the point along the lines of ;

Creativity should not be taken as a universal positive. A good example is the "Thinking outside the box" culture driving us towards a situation where the more creative banking has become the more dangerous it becomes.

I  think It went like this but I'm not sure because I lost my notes.